Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Last goodbyes, last minute details, and my last night

Along with the previous two days I am trying to squeeze in some final quality time before heading out and it is to say the least sad.  I know I will be coming home here and there, but at the same time there is something so final about college.  It is only inevitable to feel that a significant door of your life has closed.  18 years of daily seeing the same people, places, and things is gone.  Instead it's a new horizon (luckily on my horizon there just happens to be a beach).   Dad asked me this morning if I was excited or if I was dreading it.  Excited was of course my reply.  How could I not be?  For me college is the ultimate adrenaline rush.  Picture yourself getting onto a roller coaster blindfolded.  You don't know what is up ahead but you know something is coming.  You can feel it going uphill then you feel it going down hill then back up again but what then? A corkscrew, loop-d-loop, or another drop off?  Thats how college feels to me right now.  I have no earthly idea what is waiting ahead for me, but the fact is I can't wait to find out.  I have dealt with the sadness and for right now it is gone, although I do believe it will rear its ugly head come thursday afternoon when my parents drive away, but I am quite at a peaceful place with this.  Just like my life here has established its own unique rhythm, it won't take long and I will have established one for my life at AASU as well.  Thats the good thing about being human we have the ability to adapt.  Just like when I got on that plane 3 years ago to go to California crying, scared, and anxious something in me knows I have to do this just like I had to do that.  I just pray that just like that experience was the greatest ten days of my life this will be the best year of my life.  As long as I stay true to myself, my salvation, and my beliefs (which as stubborn as I am I'm not necessarily concerned) I know I will be fine.  I just have to do as Ms. Frizzle used to say on the magic school bus "take chances, make mistakes, and get messy" (well more so be messy much to my mother's chagrin).  Let's go finish some packing!  Love you all!

8 comments:

  1. I will try to get my ugly cry out of the way while I am by myself. No promises, but I will try. I love you so much, and I know you will be just fine. Am I going to go into shock without you here? Probably so. I am proud of you and know that you can accomplish anything your big heart desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ms. Frizzle analogy. You'll do great!
    ~Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashy I am so proud of you!! Love you!!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,

    We all love you so much and are so happy for you. Couldn't help but cry a little when I read
    your blog. You have grown up into such a beautiful girl inside and out. As I am typing this I'm thinking about those fat little feet tap dancing in my heels. Again we all love you and are praying for you.

    THE KELLEY'S
    Ronnie, Debbie, Kassidi, Kolbi, and Parker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Love yall! I doubt I will be tap dancing but I did bring heels! Come visit it may not be white sandy beaches but I bet yall would still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can smell a road trip coming on !!!

    Oh how you should have been mine ;)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I thought I was just kidding but yes come visit! And its better because you can enjoy my experience without having to fund it! haha

    ReplyDelete